Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

DIY: Crayon Lipstick

Today I'm teaching ya'll how to make a safe, natural crayon lipstick that has no chemicals like traditional lipsticks. This recipe is super simple and easy to do. This recipe will take a short amount of time, you can probably have a new lipstick in about 5 minutes.

Now lets get to the recipe:
  • 1/2 of a crayon, or if you are mixing colors make sure the total amount of crayon is at least the same amount as 1/2 of a crayon
  •  1/2 teaspoon of oil, I used Trade Joe's Vitamin E oil, this oil has oils mixed in the Vitamin E oil, but if you aren't using this than you can use any other oils(Coconut, olive, almond, grape seed, etc.
  •  1/2 teaspoon of a butter or coconut oil, I used cacao butter you could also use Shea, mango, avocado, etc.; just make sure not to use cooking butter;).
  • 2-3 drops of vitamin E oil, I used on capsule of Vitamin E oil
  • Measuring spoons and a bowl
  •  Containers,I used containers I got at Walmart you could also use reused lipbalm or lipstick tubes or pans
  • Optional: 1/3 teaspoon of castor oil, lipbalm fragrance; I used mint extract,Pigment or mica 
 Step1: put the ingredients in the bowl and put the bowl in the microwave and nuke for 30 second bursts until melted, make sure after each burst stir well. I also ended up after these ingredients were melted I put a sliver more of crayon in the mixture and melting it again.

 Step 2: now is the time to add castor oil, pigments, and extract or fragrance, and if necessary you can nuke it again. Then pour the melted mixture into your container of choice, then put it in the freezer until hardened this shouldn't take long
This is a swatch of the color I made on my lips

This is a swatch on my wrist
Prices:
Crayola Crayons, 48 pack: $5.99 at Walmart
Vitamin E Capsules, 100 count: $2.80 at Walmart
Cacao Butter: $6.79 at  Vitacost, you can also get the kind I got at Whole foods but I can't find how much it is
Containers, 2 pack: $0.97 at Walmart
Vitamin E oil: $3.99 at Trader Joe's
Pigment: I got mine for $6.99 at Ross, but you could also use NYX loose pearl eyeshadow retailed at $2.99 at Ulta
Castor oil: $2.64 atWalmart
Mint Extract: $3.56 at Walmart

Review:

Pros:
  • Good Pigmentation
  • All Natural
  • Safe for the Lips
Cons:
  • Made my lips dry after a while
  • Didn't stay on too long
  • Doesn't smell very good


No comments:

Post a Comment